Monday, June 3, 2013

I'm Feeling Lost and Found

DSC_0055
For my regular readers you may have been wondering where in the hell is that MRL chica?  I have been a horrible absent bloggy friend and owe all of you well deserved blog comments and visits.  Well, I have been taking a Making/blogging break.  This has been for totally selfish reasons as I am spending some seriously needed quality time with my mother who is visiting from Colorado.  For those non-Americans let's just say Colorado and Far Far Away, New York are, well, far far away from each other.  So, I have been thoroughly enjoying this much needed time with her and my girls.

Before hanging with my parental unit ensued, I have been working on a dual project for Mother's Day in fact.  Some of you may remember that I have been a paper piecing fiend recently, mmmmmm paper piecing.  Love the precision.  I am so surprised at myself but see that is why you need to try all sorts of things to be sure you aren't going to fall head over heels!  (um, definitely not an endorsement you hear in Sex Education class now is it...)
DSC_0047
DSC_0057
I made these Matryoshka dolls for my mother (linen trio) and mother-in-law (white trio).  Each doll represents one of my girls and they each picked their color fabric with the exception of Miss O who acquiesced to her older sisters' insistence that if she had been able she would have chosen pink.  I plan to begin making them into Mega Zipper Pouches.  Just trying to decide what lining to use and whether to give them fat bums like my original pattern.  I do enjoy how the fat bottom gives it the ability to stand up!  
DSC_0059
  DSC_0052
Now that I think of it I haven't been totally free of Making during my bonding break with my mother...  The Mr. and I made a wicked Cuban feast this weekend...but...not being in blogging mode I took no photos!  Ooops my bad...  

I also have a finish which I will be featuring this Friday via TGIFF so do come back to visit.  

And, for those following my Sewing Machine Adultery Series, I have done some ridiculous research over the last few weeks and am closer to my personal decision regarding a new sewing machine.

Plum and June

Be back soon...

- rebecca lynne

UPDATED: Sorry!  I always forget to include where I found this awesome Matryoshka pattern.  You can find it in Volume 5 of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks.

17 comments:

Jodi Godfrey said...

Those are the coolest babushkas I've ever seen! Glad you've had some good 'mum' time. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

LOVE them :) So cute to represent the girls!
Glad you're back! x

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Those are sooo sooo cute!!! Can't wait to see them all zipper-pouched up. :D

Stephanie @ Quarter Incher said...

Wow, These are adorable! Where did you get the pattern? I love them!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

They are fantastic! Gorgeous idea for a grandparent present.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I'm so glad you were away from your blog because you were having a lovely time and not because there was something wrong! Love the plans for the pouches!!

Annabella said...

*mwah* These are seriously amazing!! I love them Rebecca and that the girls chose 'their clothes'. Enjoy your time with your mum and don't worry about us - we'll still be here. Thanks for linking up!!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Love these dolls. LOVE them. Need to get the pattern, off to do a bit more reading :-)

Canadian Abroad said...

Love the paper piecing, and the blogging break. Everyone should take these. Life is for living, and should be enjoyed in the moment whenever we can.

Patty K said...

These are wonderful! Where can I get the pattern?

Anonymous said...

Love the matryoshkas! And I vote for fat bottoms, because it sounds funny and looks fantastic.

Jeneta said...

Love them! I vote for fat bottoms too - they seem to be far more popular these days than skinny ones!!

Snoodles said...

Fabulous! They will make wonderful zip pouches!

Nat at Made in Home said...

They are so cute!!

Stephanie C. said...

I love these and I love even more that they represent your girlies!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your Matryoshka dolls are so sweet. I like the way your girls chose their fabrics :)

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Lovely idea for a gift! Love that your girls picked the fabrics - really sweet touch.