Thursday, July 12, 2012

QuiltCon MRL Style [Thursday Think Tank]


If you are a quilt blog reader then you must know about the upcoming QuiltCon presented by The Modern Quilt Guild.  Since I live under a rock and I know about it I assume everyone else does too...  And, because all the hotels in Austin near the QuiltCon are already sold out I think my assumption is pretty safe!

Unfortunately, given our recent dedication to fix our finances and buy a home I will not be traveling to Austin to partake in the QuiltCon.  S-I-G-H.  Bummer...

However, Mary Fons, one of the scheduled participants at this year's QuiltCon, is actually going to be lecturing near me at the Chautauqua Institution's Annual Quilt Show.  Say what?  Now I was going to boycott the Institution's quilt show this year because it went so poorly for me last year.  How, you may ask, could a quilt show go poorly for a mere onlooker?  Well...I was pretty much the youngest person there and the other quilters were definitely giving me a hard time about it...actually commenting on my interest as if I could not possibly know the first thing about sewing two pieces of fabric together let alone sandwiching fabric and batting (or wadding as my Brit friends say) to create a quilt.  It left me feeling very sour and I was not going to return this year.  But...when I saw that Mary Fons was going to be there and lecturing on the rise of 30-something quilters no less I decided it was time to give the show a second chance.  Besides, if I can't go to QuiltCon at least I see Mary Fons in my own backyard instead!  

Not too shabby, eh?

So what are you Think Tanking these days?

- rebecca lynne

Thursday Think Tank

Feel free to rattle off anything that has been brewing in your creative heads. It can be anything, quilting, home improvement, fashion, crafting, DIY gifts, cooking...whatever you have recently thought "hmmm, you know what I should create" is perfectly appropriate for the Think Tank.  TTT is all about whatever you are currently brainstorming and would like feedback or encouragement on!





Have a blog? Grab the Thursday Think Tank button displayed on the right. Thanks to everyone who linked up last week.

One small request: Please remember to Add a Link to Thursday Think Tank in your Blog Post - this enables Your Readers to visit the Linky Party and share other people's TTT links with Your Readers.  Thank you!





4 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I hope the quilt show visit goes better this year - maybe you could make Miss O a fabulously complicated quilt for her pram and take her along so you can show it (and her!) off to all the doubters! I'll be interested to read about Mary's speech - will you be taking notes?!

Cherie said...

It's a real shame when people make you feel like that! I'm sure now you'll maybe know more hints and secrets to sewing than they do!
Hope you have a good time =D

Lucy | Charm About You said...

How fun and you go show them what us young quilters are made of!! ;)

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

You HAVE to go to the lecture.. you might be the only young person there!! *wink* I hope the show is filled with youngster-modern quilters just to show those reverse-agist ladies. :o) I miss you!