Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Yoga - Drama Free 2012 & Thursday Think Tank



Thursday Think Tank
I bet, like me, most of you have a To Do List about a M-I-L-E long.  Am I right?  Lately I've been trying to figure out how to best tackle my to dos...of course thinking about how to attack it isn't making it any shorter let me tell you...  But, one of the things on my list that I really need to start taking more seriously is my goal of practicing prenatal yoga.



While living in Brooklyn I took an awesome prenatal yoga class here.  I really think it helped my 2nd pregnancy go so smoothly not to mention it helped keep my stress levels down.  But here, in Far Far Away, prenatal yoga is nonexistent.  So, I've been meaning to do something about it.  Today my chiropractor suggested that I do some stretching to stave off my sciatic nerve.  In other words...I realized I needed to get off my bum and create my own at home prenatal yoga program.  

How?

HELLO - INTERNET!  There are tons of sites out there giving advice on how to practice yoga at home. You can even sign up for an About.com newsletter that will send prenatal yoga specific emails to guide your practice safely while pregnant.

Of course nothing can replace the support of yoga classmates not to mention the importance of the guidance of a yoga teacher.  But, for those of us without, well, we must make do.  For those of you who are debating whether to consider taking up Yoga I would strongly encourage you to check out a class.  Honestly, it can be life altering.  Keep in mind, however, that there are lots of different types of Yoga. Some style may be more apt to suit your exercise needs and personality better than another.  Take a look into the variety out there before deciding Yoga altogether isn't for you.

Now for you sewers out there be sure to check out yoga positions you can do while seated.  Don't let your sewing get ruined by stiff posture...take a break and do some of these!

I'll be making my Baby Boy Quilt Top this weekend...whew hew!  Can't wait to show you all pictures on Monday...  In the meantime, let me know what you've been doing and add your link below!

- rebecca lynne

9 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I'll check out the seated yoga. I spend WAY too much time sitting in front of the computer (adding to my 'To Do' list) or sewing...

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Ohhh yoga! I'll take a look at the links but I think I'm more of a pilates girl ;) Stretching whatever way is good though! Looking forward to seeing the baby quilt! xx

Snoodles said...

Ah, yes, a gentle reminder that I, too, need to get up and stretch/exercise a lot more than I do! LOL Hope things are going well for you and that stress is down... :)

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Can't wait to see baby boy quilt top!! I have a couple of yoga dvds and I'm so positive that I felt better when doing them every morning. I would actually crave it when I woke up in the morning.. of course I fell out of the habit when life got busy, but I really need to make time for it again, and I will be checking out those that can be done to ease the stiff muscles from sitting at the sewing machine!! Thanks for all of the info! xo

Sana Saroti said...

I did Yoga last year and I was feeling so much better. Thanks for the links! I love the sandwich asana ;-) haha

OksanaB said...

Thank you, Rebecca for hosting the party. I miss yoga so much (can't do it now due to some medical problems).

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I've not tried yoga but have tried Pilates, which was great until the class changed and it became more like boot camp!! Good luck with the quilting, I can't wait to see it!

Katie said...

Oh yes, getting back into yoga is on my to do list as well. I stopped because it just wasn't the same after the teacher I had that I loved moved to Arizona.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That yoga link is really interesting! I never about knew all those types and distinctions.