Thursday, September 15, 2011

Drink the Kool-Aid Thursday Think Tank [September 14, 2011]

Wow.  Really?  Thursday already?  Geez, I haven't even recovered from Wednesday yet!  {I feel like I say this every week don't I?} But don't worry, that isn't going to stop me from Think Tank...just because time whizzes by does not mean my brain takes a break from all its creative overloading...not in the least!

Revamping Think Tank
No.  I am not going to stop Think Tanking it.  Sorry to disappoint...  Actually, what I am considering is a Thursday each month where I review my brainstorming and decide what projects are worth doing and what I am going to cull from my never-ending list.  You know what I mean.  One moment you will be all over the Pink Panda craze and then a few weeks later you look back and think Pink Pandas?  What Kool-Aid was I drinking?  So yes, I think, no I know I need to revise my list as there are already projects I would like to replace with new better ideas.  Perhaps I will leave Thursday Think Tank Revisions for the last Thursday of the month...  Thoughts?


Thursday Think Tank
Spoonflower Labels
Anyway, back to regular programming.  Now that I am actually close(r) to finishing something I really need to get serious about labels.  Luckily I tripped over a post at one blog to another blog to another which led me here.  Am I the last person in the Creative Online World to learn about Spoonflower?  Erin from Missy Mac Creations, my also a newbie blogger buddy from down under, told me about it and I was totally clueless!  Now I keep seeing it everywhere!  You can read a free tutorial about how to make Spoonflower Labels at Jaybird Quilts.  Well, Spoonflower...I am not sure how to fit this into my budget yet...but when I get that squared away these labels are in my future...

Spoonflower Quilt Labels by Jaybird Quilts
Mug Rugs or QAYG to Practice FMQ
If you haven't read yesterday's post you may be a bit lost.  Suffice it to say I am going to practice some FMQ - I'm going to conquer it baby.  Yes I Am.  {sorry, just to pep talking to myself there a bit...focusing now...}  So, obviously I have been brainstorming about how to do this and have come up with two ideas.

One idea is to join the Mug Rug craze going around.  Personally?  I blame Toni of Hoosier Toni for this...that chica has been posting her Mug Rugs all over her blog and I can't seem to get away from them!  Hahahahaa...honestly she's been apologizing about her continued mug rug posts and I think it is so sweet of her...no need to apologize!  It is Your Blog!  Anyway I could do some Mug Rugs and then practice my free motion quilting at the same time...maybe give some as gifts?  Hmmm...possibility...

This is my favorite of Toni's Mug Rugs.
She does not know I absconded with it, and I hope she doesn't mind my sharing it.  Surprise Toni!?!
My second idea is to conquer two goals at once.  FMQ practice and QAYG self-education.  I'd really like to learn quilting as you go so maybe that would be the ideal solution.  Not sure if I should combine two big monsters like that...but hey, when have I ever taken the easy route?  I mean really...how boring...  I know there is a wonderful tutorial about QAYG over at The Quilting Edge.  Now I just really need to look at my stash and decide who is going to be sacrificed to this endeavor...that is the real issue...
QAYG Block from The Quilting Edge Tutorial
Pillows...Lots of Them
Hmmm, I realize I never posted anything about my Anniversary Gift.  Tsk tsk...this would make more sense if I had.  Well, regardless, bear with me and I'll explain later.  For now let's just say that I am in the market for extra pillows.  On the other hand there is so much chatter about the Pillow Talk Swap on many of the blogs I read (no, I'm not part of the swap.  sniff.  yes, I'm jealous.) perhaps I am being easily influenced.  Shrug.  At least I am big enough to admit it!  One pillow I'd love to include in my piles of pillows dream is the pillow tutorial being currently offered at Patchwork Notes.  Isn't this beautiful?  I've always been a sucker for Courthouse Steps and this is such a great variation on that traditional block.

On Display Friend Pillow




Wow.  I guess all my brainstorms this week are fabric related.  Hmmm...just have sewing on the brain I guess!  

As always...

Feel free to rattle off anything that has been brewing in your creative heads.  It can be anything, quilting, home improvement, fashion, crafting, DIY gifts, cooking...whatever you have recently thought "hmmm, you know what I should create" is perfectly appropriate for the Think Tank.  Have a blog?  Grab the Thursday Think Tank button displayed on the right.  

Please leave a link to your T.T.T. on your blog in the linky party below or leave a comment with your Thursday Think Tank ideas!  

Feel free to submit Think Tank Links Until Next Thursday's Think Tank!

- rebecca lynne



7 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Cool labels! And no.. you will never be the last to learn about anything in the online quilting world, I am WAY behind the times. ha! I have heard of Spoonflower though, just did not know about the label thing.

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Man, I've been out of action for one little week and I already feel waaaay out of touch. Hmm... maybe next week I'll catch up? The Mug Rugs look fun, though.

And, yes, a TTT monthly revision is a great idea. Was only thinking about that yesterday, actually, as have progressed with a few of my "thoughts". Whoop whoop.

Toni said...

THIEF!! Haha, just kidding, I am so happy you like one of my creations enough to mention it. And I really do think you should make a few. Or twenty. I saw another label tutorial somewhere the other day but I can't think of it now. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it...

Jennifer Thomas said...

Aha! I love the Mug Rugs idea. What a marvelous way to use up some scraps & get quick satisfaction from actually finishing something! Thanks for sharing all the great ideas.

Have a super day!

Jennifer Schifano Eutsler
curlicuecreations.com

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Making mug rugs from your samples is an excellent idea - or you could join them into a sampler and tackle your QAYG goal at the same time! When do we get to learn about your anniversary present?!

Jules said...

check out stiched in colour, Rachel just got some made, by someone on etsy. I wanna say the name of the place was gutentags??. i do think the spoonflower ones are cheaper though and i like the look of them. $18 yard. let us know if you find elsewhere.

Rebecca Lynne said...

Whew Hew! I am so excited that there is actually a linky party going on... Yay! And I saw some of you visited each other's sites and commented? My dream come true...