Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday Think Tank


Thursday Think Tank

I am proud to introduce the first Thursday Think Tank with making rebecca lynne!  I am constantly brainstorming about new projects and getting inspired by what other people are blogging about.  Plus, I'm the type of person who wants to share my ideas with other people as I work through the concepts stuck my head.  I usually run these ideas by my husband...but his standard pat answer of "uh-hunh that sounds cool" doesn't always cut it!

Then all of a sudden it occurred to me - why not devote a weekly post on making rebecca lynne to all of the DIY projects I am endlessly coming up with!  I'd love so much if you'd join me!

The purpose is to rattle off projects and ideas that have come to you recently.  It can be anything, quilting, home improvement, fashion, crafting, DIY gifts, cooking...whatever you have recently thought "hmmm, you know what I should create" is perfectly appropriate for the Think Tank.  

I'm working off the theory of *if you start it they will follow* and have created a Think Tank Button for grabbing (see, on the righthand side there?  that is for you to add to your blog!) and I'm adding a linky so anyone who wants to participate can share their any pics of ideas they have on their DIY wishlist!  If you don't have a blog but are a creative type who follows my blog [MW & LDR you know who you are] please leave a comment with your idea instead of a link!  I might be jumping the gun a bit...but I am excited!

NOTE: Now, as this is going to probably generate some collection of images from sources other than yourself I'd just like to remind you to respect other people's copyright by sourcing & linking back whatever image you borrow.  I'm a firm believer that information on the internet is intended to be shared...otherwise why would it be ON the internet...but it is just courteous to give credit where it is due.  Okay, sorry, lecture over.

I will start and you can see what I mean...

Think Tank Thursday - August 11, 2011

Idea #1 - Magnetic Chalkboard on Vintage Silver Tray


Source: Magnetic Chalkboard $26.50 by AZCreativeStudio
I have wanted one of these for quite some time.  And yes, it is not that expensive all things considered, but it is one of those things that I think "I could buy it...but why buy it when I can make it?"  Anyone else know what I am talking about??  Well I have been keeping my eyes open for a tray to repurpose as a chalkboard when lo and behold I was walking through Big Lots and they have a whole bunch of them for sale.  I couldn't believe it!  I thought I would need a vintage tray, but if I'm painting it anyway why not go with a new cheap new one.  Then, as if fate is just tempting me to get off my butt and make this, I was at Walmart the next day and bam - there was the blackboard paint and magnetic paint side by side next to the wood stain.  Really?  Come on - I obviously must make this.

Idea #2 - Jewelry Frames

Source: Looks like it is scanned from a magazine.  But blog where I found it is circlegdesigns.wordpress.com

Because we just moved my extensive jewelry collection is still in a lovely (read sarcasm) cardboard box.  Ha, in fact, it was wrapped up by Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush line and I was so eager to get the fabric to my new sewing room that I basically whipped out the fabric and threw the jewelry it was carefully protecting back into the box which means it is probably a nice tangled mess at this point.  Greeeaaat.

I already have two vintage frames that have an open weave linen stapled onto the back to hang jewelry from.  I wove the linen in college and was desperate to repurpose it when the idea of jewelry frames came to mind.  Years later and the linen needs a bit of reinforcing against the frames, but they are still in decent shape.  Unfortunately, they are simply insufficient for the amount of jewelry I have.  So when I saw this image of a collection of frames hung on a wall I thought this is what I need to do - add more to my two frames!  I love that they have different sizes and I'm going to try to emulate that.  And(!) my in-laws bought me an antique vanity complete with wood carved details for my birthday.  It is now in my new bedroom and the frames would look lovely hanging right next its large beautiful mirror.  Bonus.

Idea #3 - Phat Pants

Phat Pheasant Pants from Front
Phat Pheasant Pants - Photo Courtesy of My Hubby (who took a break from Xbox to help me)

Phat Pheasant Pants from Side
Phat Pheasant Pants Side View - looks like a skirt when walking
My third brainstorm for this week's Think Tank is one that has been nagging at me for quite awhile.  It concerns my phat pants.  No - not my fat pants, my phat pants originally created in 1999-ish?  I am not trying to be cool/hip/trendy whatever...there is just no better way to describe them.  They are a pair of wide legged pants I created using the most hideous upholstery material I have ever seen (navy blue with lime green flowers and pheasants...yes...pheasants).  When I saw this material at Walmart's *we're begging you to just get this out of the store* sale rack I knew I just had to have it.  When I realized I had enough of the material to make the wide legged pants that it appears as though you are wearing a skirt with the fabric...well enough said.  And I lined them, hahahahaa, so they are the most comfortable pants ever!  I get so many "What the..." looks and, believe it or not, compliments when I wear them.  A few people have stopped me on the street to ask if I could make them a pair!  Ha!


Crab Fabric for Phat Pants
Embroidered Crab
I've wanted to duplicate the pants for awhile but it has been hard to find fabric that compares to the pheasants.  I mean, it is a high standard of fugly.  But...again at Walmart...I found fabric that I think will be perfect.  A heavyweight navy blue fabric with red embroidered crabs.  Very nautical, yuppy, let's go yachting Buffy.  Not by any means truly fugly but it is different and hey, I'm not 20 anymore so it can't hurt to tone things done a tad...right?  Sigh, don't hold it against me.  ;)

Idea #4 - Covered Journals

If you haven't found Stitched in Color yet then you should head over there to meet Rachel Hauser.  Every time I read her blog I think - Geez, why didn't I think of that?  She has great ideas and wonderful tutorials to boot.  Therefore, it is not surprising to find one of her recent projects on my list of Things to Do.

Source: Stitched in Color
These covered journals would make amazing gifts...but who I would give them to?  I am a blank journal addict and have been known to carry around a blank journal for as long as I can remember.  Anyone interested in receiving one as a gift?  Let me know because I just came across a whole ton of Composition Books at Big Lots and of course I have the fabric scraps to make something gorgeous!

Alright, that is enough from me.  Now it is your turn!  Please leave a comment or add a link through the inlinkz below (if you are in a reader you need to see on regular browser) to your blog discussing what creative brainstorms you have been kicking around lately!  Can't wait to hear what you are contemplating...





- rebecca lynne



2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, you know what I want to make... bowls crocheted out of Neoprene: http://ajoureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Rosana-Contadini-Crocheted-Rubber-2.jpg. Ever since i saw these bowls by Neo, I've been wanting to find that yarn- I think it would be fun to have a rubber basket to put my projects in. Once I get my hands on it, I'll decide between crocheting and doing a basket weave. I am leanings towards crocheting- I like how bendy some of the creations can be: http://ajoureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Rosana-Contadini-Crocheted-Rubber.jpg. So if you spot some [for a reasonable price and a reasonable amount], let me know.

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Hi! I finally succumbed and joined your TTT. Pity it's a Monday... but oh well. I will endeavour to try and get the day right in the future. Thanks for the great idea. :)