Monday, August 22, 2011

Sew Modern Monday hosted by Canoe Ridge Creations

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

Whew hew!  This is my 1st Sew Modern Monday!  I finally have something substantive to share this Monday...so I waited all weekend to post this.  Ha.  

Remember my Saturday post Itching to Stitch where I was complaining about wanting to sew but not finding the time et cetera so forth yadda yadda?  Well...The Mister can always tell when I am in a creative whirlwind and basically half aware of everything else going on around me.  So while my daughters napped (consecutively not concurrently of course; it is a freaking miracle anything gets done around here) he entertained whomever was up, allowing me to escape retreat enjoy my sewing room.  Heh heh...

The results?  Hummingbirds & Hexagons - 50 by 50 made with Dolce by Tanya Whelan

Hummingbirds & Hexagons - Look at Mr. MRL's knees!
This Friday night, on the last night of my parents' visit, I was still unpacking my stash from the move and uncovered all of these half sewn strips of Tanya Whelan's Dolce Collection.  Almost two years ago I made a large crib quilt for my Sister-Cousin's newborn daughter.  Of course, as I have mentioned time and time again, math is not my strong suit and unsurprisingly I miscalculated and ended up with enough fabric to make 3 Throw Quilts.  Yup.  I can't ever say the glass is half empty because chances are, with my math, it is almost always half full or more!

Hummingbird & Hexagon Closeup
Hummingbirds & Hexagons Closeup

Anyway, I hadn't decided what to do with this fabric (which was already cut because I didn't realize my mistake until I had industriously cut all the fabric into strips...yeah...DUH.  I was pregnant at the time so perhaps all brain cells weren't on full throttle...).  The fabric was stuffed under all of my other fabric until making an appearance this Friday.  Luckily my parents, being the good-natured sort of folk that they are, decided to take on the challenge to *create* a pattern with what was left.  Aren't they cute? I think they did a rather good job...much more modern and interesting than the basic pinwheel I was going to create.

I am thinking of backing this with white and some extra strips I have left over of Dolce.  For quilting I am debating whether to use an organic circle-ish freehand flower design...draw it on and sew.  Thought this would counteract the very linear and boxy pattern.  What do you think?

Please don't forget to visit Canoe Ridge Creations' {Sew} Modern Monday!  Click on some of the linky pics below her post...there is always inspiration and great blogging to be discovered!

- rebecca lynne




3 comments:

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, that is so beautiful! I don't think I've seen a quilt with those fabrics before, it looks wonderful, I love it!

Toni said...

Great quilt! And how fun that your parents helped design it!

Megan said...

BEAUTIFUL finish! I am so happy to see you are a first time {Sew} Modern Monday linker! :) I hope you will be back for more!